The School would like to honour ODs who have made a significant and exceptional contribution to their field of endeavour by awarding them The Robert Gray Medal.
Guy Pearson (Principal) reports: "Last year we marked our Founders Day with a special ceremony in the Memorial Chapel. On this occasion we awarded the very first Robert Gray Medal’s to two of our most distinguished Old Boys, Dr Robert Frater and Mr Raymond Ackerman. The Bishop Gray Medal is the most prestigious and only award which the school can bestow on an OD who has made a significant and exceptional contribution in his field of endeavour, or to society in general." We would like to call for nominations for the second annual awarding of the robert Gray Medal for 2020. The award is to honour ODs who have made a significant and exceptional contribution to their field of endeavour. This has been supported by the Bishops Council and the ODU Committee and serves not only to honour significant ODs but to inspire current boys at Bishops.
Please submit your nominations with a brief motivation to the ODU at [email protected]
- The recipient must be a living old boy.
- The achievements must be of a nature that exemplifies the philosophy, values and spirit of Bishops and the ODU. The characteristics of courage, compassion, a willingness to fight for truth and justice and a genuine concern for his fellow man must be present.
- The contribution/achievements must be of such a nature that it has had a significant impact for the good of society.
- The contribution/achievements must have been made over a sustained period (at least 10 years).
- While the recipient’s achievements might have brought personal material gain, this must not have been the driving motivation for the endeavour.
The Principal, Chairman of Council and Chairman of the ODU.
Nominations must be made in writing to the Principal or to the Branch Chairman of the ODU who will forward these to the Principal. The selection committee will consider all nominations. Final approval for a recipient must be made by the Bishops Council.
On an annual basis but not necessarily in every year. It will only be made if there is a deserving candidate. There may be more than one award made in a year.
The Award will be made at the Founders Day Service or at any special occasion which the Principal may deem appropriate.
The Robert Gray Gold Medal.
A citation on a parchment scroll.
Name on an Honours Board in the Mitre