Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Archives & History > Naming of the Piley Rees Field

Naming of the Piley Rees Field

Naming of the 1st XV Field

Mrs Peggy Rees meets the First XV
Mrs Peggy Rees meets the First XV


OD Rugby Club
The Piley Rees Field at Bishops remains a special place on the estate. From 2014 -2016 it was voted 'Best School Sport Arena in South Africa' on
This year marks the 35 year anniversary of the naming of the field, which was first reported on in the June 1983 version of The Diocesan College Magazine:
"On Saturday morning, 23 April 1983, Mrs Peggy Rees, widow of Mr D.W. (Piley) Rees, was introduced to the members of the Bishops and President High School First XVs at a ceremony to mark the naming of the 1st XV field in memory of her late husband.
To generations of ODs - and indeed to many outside of Bishops who knew him - Piley Rees needs no introduction as both man and legend. Piley Rees taught physics and mathematics at Bishops from 1922 until his retirement 45 years later in 1966. After spells as housemaster of Ogilvie and Founders, he became the first housemaster of White House; he was Vice-Principal for four years and acted as Principal on the death of Hubert Kidd. He ran school athletics for 25 years, but it was as a rugby coach that his name was known far beyond the fields of Bishops and UCT, where he also coached. From 1919 to 1966 he served on the executive of the Western Province Schools Rugby Union, acting as chairman from 1928 to 1948. He coached the 1st XV from 1930 to 1955 and again in 1960 and 1961.
A man meticulous in his habits, scrupulous in his adherence to 'fair play' both on and off the rugby field, kindly but firm towards all, Piley was loved and admired by countless Bishops boys. In grateful acknowledgement of his lifetime of service to the school and the game he loved, the Piley Rees Field will be a lasting and fitting tribute to the memory of a remarkable man."

Bishops went on to beat President High School 46-3 on that day.
Mike Bayly (1983S), who introduced Mrs Rees to the players, was Captain of Rugby, Captain of Cricket, and Senior Prefect in that year. He is currently the Director of rugby at Rugby School in the United Kingdom.

Gallery gallery

To view this photo gallery

Similar stories

Most read

Craig Foster (1985F)
Academy Award Winner: Craig Foster (1985F)

Interview: My Octopus Teacher, featuring OD and Academy Award Winner Craig Foster More...

Stuart Abbott (1995/6S) and Dr Paul Murray
Visitor to the Mitre - Stuart Abbott (1995/6S)

Former Bishops 1st XV Captain & England World Cup Winner Stuart Abbott (1995/6S) paid The Mitre and his U13A rugby coach, Dr Paul Murray a visit today… More...

Top: Brian Arton & Peter Bowles with the Rolls that they assembled.
Brian Arton - Engineer extraordinaire

Brian Arton (OD) from young displayed a passion for engineering. He is seen in the photo on the chassis at his farm Glen Bawm, before he assembled wh… More...

Have your say

This website is powered by