7th August: Justice Craig Howie, Chairman for the Standing Committee, calls for applications for appointment to the new ODU Standing Committee
7th August 2019
Call for applications for appointment to the new ODU Standing Committee
Most ODs should by now be aware that the motion brought by the SGM requisitionists at the Special General Meeting of the Union last Thursday, 1 August 2019, was withdrawn on the night. This followed an agreement between the requisitionists and the Committee to convene a Standing Committee to address matters relating to reconciliation, unity, healing and governance.
Last night, the Committee, constituted with three new observers, resolved as follows:
- The new Standing Committee is convened pursuant to article 6.3.2 of the current Constitution, with the object and mission of exercising oversight of reconciliation, unity, healing and governance;
- ODU Vice President Craig Howie has been appointed as chairman of the Standing Committee;
- The Standing Committee will consist of no more than seven members of the Union;
- Three members of the Standing Committee will be proposed by the Committee and three members will be proposed by the SGM requisitionists; and
- The six proposed members of the Standing Committee (other than the chairman) will be agreed upon by the Committee and the requisitionists, such agreement to not be unreasonably withheld or delayed.
I am now in a position, as chair of the newly constituted Standing Committee, to invite applications from those ODs who would propose themselves or other ODs to be considered for appointment as members of this committee.
If you would like to be a part of the reconciliation process, please address your applications to [email protected] for my attention. I will liaise with representatives of the Committee and the requisitionists to reach agreement on the members of the Standing Committee as soon as possible.
Chairman, Standing Committee