|12 Jun 2021
|Archives & History
This photograph above, is of the Founders Quad in the 1950s. Little has changed since those days. However, gone is the Cyprus tree where according to Peter Steyn (1955), the Owls used to nest. Peter's love of birds grew out of his time at Bishops. He is a world leader in ornithology and the phography of birds. The buildings in the photograph were designed by the English Architect, William White, one of the leading architects of his time. He was the brother of Henry Master White, Bishops' inaugural Principal. Henry Master served as the Principal from 1849 - 1857 after which his brother Francis Gilbert White was the Principal from 1857 - 1860, when Canon George Ogilvie took over. Today Mr Tony Reeler in Bishops' 15th Principal.
Thank you to Patrick Whaton Hood (FH - 1988) who sent in the photograph.
Please share any memories by writing to the school archivist, Paul Murray at [email protected]
A Glimpse into Bishops' History and Theology More...