In 1885, the junior school moved from Bishops to Feldhausen in Claremont - it subsequently moved across to Woodlands, once the new buildings were completed, which was in 1902 - this is School House.
Today School House celebrates its 121st year.
The foundation stone was laid by the Duchess of Teck on 11 June 1900 which is also known as St Barnabas Day.
The Architects were Baker & Masey.
The Builder was R.H. Morris.
School House was built when the pupils from Feldhausen, the school which earlier had amalgamated with Canon Brooke's St Saviour's Church School in 1885, (where the Grove Primary School is today), were transferred to Woodlands.
School House was built with the funds from the sale of Feldhausen. It was mainly the idea of the Archbishop at the time William West Jones.
There was thus the distinction between the upper school and the University, which was in Founders House, and School House.
For those visiting the Grove Primary School, the stone inscribed with the year 1885 is inside the school hall.
[Source - John Gardener et al, 'Bishops 150'.]
For further information or queries please contact the school archivist Paul Murray [email protected] who posted this article.
Our heartiest congratulations to the School Archivist, Dr Paul Murray, who has been awarded the Colenso Visitorship to St John's College, Cambridge for the 2022-3. More...
The OD Union calls upon its members to submit applications for the position of Honorary Treasurer of the Union. More...